master of arts in composition and music theory, mixed music orientation, multimedia composition option
The art of electronic and multimedia composition in the 21st century!
This is what the Geneva Haute école de musique (Geneva HEM) and its Centre for Electroacoustic Music are developing in a pioneering and original way with the new Multimedia Composition option of the Master of Composition and Theory. This option is aimed at composers, musicians and performers driven by digital media as well as interdisciplinary artists with a passion for music. Are you crazy about new technologies? Come and create original and innovative works where electronic, electroacoustic, instrumental, video, web, performance and installation compositions are mixed. Share and develop your ideas on the cultural, theoretical, technical and aesthetic issues surrounding music and new media. Immerse yourself in real-time interactive sound and visual media, sound art and instrument design. Come and create in contact with the other music departments, guest artists and professional ensembles.
The main modules of the curriculum are : composition with interactive media, video design, web audio, art coding, sound art, sensors and performance, aesthetics and theory of new media. Applicants will have to submit later a selection of creative music and video works.
For more information please contact Gilbert Nouno
Application for the Master's degree in composition and music theory, mixed composition, multimedia composition option
The applicant must send the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org as a link on a compressed file :
- the application form
- a detailed curriculum vitae
- a letter of motivation
- a portfolio of at least four representative works that demonstrate artistic and musical abilities in relation to the use of digital and interactive media, in particular in the field of electronic, electroacoustic, visual, sound and transdisciplinary music. This may include scores, music, texts, images, videos, installations, performances, computer code or specific applications, interactive websites or other forms of creative work. It is recommended that you include brief notes on each work and any other material that may guide the assessment process.
- a video or video link of the candidate performing a piece of their choice on piano or other instrument
The admission interview consists of the following tests :
- a two-hour written test on electroacoustic, electronic and new media music
- a discussion on the portfolio of works and the written test
- an test of musical knowledge including reading and timber recognition