DAS in orchestral performance
In collaboration with the Haute école de musique de Genève, the Orchestre de la Suisse Romande proposes a training programme leading to a Diploma of Advanced Studies (DAS) in orchestral performance awarded by the University of Applied Sciences of Western Switzerland (HES-SO). The training will be given by both institutions with the objective of deepening and broadening professional skills in the field of orchestral performance (both symphonic and operatic) in order to maximize students’ chances of success for orchestra auditions.
The DAS is open to students of any nationality who have a Master’s degree in performance or equivalent. The upper age limit is 29 (on 30 April 2021) in the following disciplines: violin, viola, cello and french horn.
The programme, comprising 900 hours over 12 months (1 September 2021 – 31 August 2022), consists of two complementary and compulsory modules:
1) an internship at the Orchestre de la Suisse Romande: preparing parts and playing in concerts, performances, tours, and recordings (720 hours over 12 months from September to August).
Remuneration for the internship is CHF 30'000.- before tax.
2) an academic studies programme at the Haute école de musique de Genève with two teaching modules (180 hours over 10 months from September to June):
a) Orchestral excerpts, mental preparation, audition simulation
b) Chamber music, historical knowledge and a written essay (60 hours)
The tuition fee, to be paid by the successful candidate, is CHF 4'500.-
The application deadline for the 2021-22 season is 1st March 2021
Successful applicants will then be invited to audition in Geneva on the following dates:
- Violin : Friday 14 May 2021
- Viola : Tuesday 4 May 2021
- Cello : Friday 14 May 2021
- French Horn : Monday 10 May 2021
Invitations to the audition will be emailed to successful applicants 1 month before each audition. The program will be communicated with the invitation.