LEAD! is an innovative collaboration project between three institutions that share a common vision on the challenges of professional music integration in the 21st century, a different orchestral project, with a charismatic conductor of great fame to question the different leadership roles within an orchestra, an advanced coaching with mentors from some great European orchestras and a personalized accompaniment on all facets of the profession of orchestral musician - individual coaching and group workshops with professionals in the field: we want to offer this interactive project to our students to get them ready to the reality of the professional world.
Finnish chef Jukka-Pekka Saraste is at the heart of the project
Aims of project
The Orchestra LEAD! Project has as its aims to:
• Excite young players about playing in an orchestra
• Develop a common understanding of orchestral sound
• Develop internal communication and understanding of the roles in the orchestra, also focusing also on the roles of orchestral leaders
• Work with the students on developing different types of orchestral sound and musical styles
To develop and raise awareness of the importance of individual leadership/responsibility within the orchestra, LEAD! aims to:
• Define and develop the role of leadership and the essential skills pertaining to it. Leaders must know how to take responsibility in every way, be able to communicate effectively with their own and other sections and to understand the conductor’s wishes.
• Show that a good leader not only takes a musical responsibility but also a social responsibility. He or she should have a high level of emotional intelligence and should ensure the quality and well-being of the entire section. To be a good leader requires not only excellent musical skills, but also well-developed social skills.
• Encourage each player to develop and demonstrate their individual personalities in the orchestra
• Show that the development of strong leadership skills is relevant to everyone. The teaching and mentoring is directed to each individual student, not only to leaders. This is also a transferable skill outside of musical professional world.
The HEM Orchestra
LEAD! is a project of the partner institutions
Haute école de musique de Genève-Neuchâtel
The LEAD! project is part of a larger framework developed by the LEAD! Foundation whose mission is to support the emerging careers of young conductors.
September 11, 2022 : starting rehearsals
Sseptember 18, 2022 : concert in the Sibelkius Academy of Helsinki, Finland
September 19, 2022 : concert in Lahti, Finland
September 20, 2022 : concert in Fiskari, Finland