Bachelor of Arts courses
Applicants for Bachelor of Arts courses must have a maturité gymnasiale, maturité professionnelle or maturité spécialisée secondary-school qualification or one deemed equivalent (baccalauréat, etc.). In exceptional cases, the HEM may waive this condition for students displaying outstanding musical talent.
Admission to Bachelor of Arts courses at the "Haute école de musique de Genève" is by competitive examination, in three stages. Applicants must first submit application documents. They will then be invited to take a practical examination in Geneva, consisting of two tests: an instrumental or vocal test, and a test in general musical training, both of which must be passed. The results of the tests will be forwarded to the admissions board, which will make a final decision.
One month before the date of the practical examination, applicants will receive a written invitation stating the place and time of the examination, as well as the designated accompanist’s contact details. Applicants have to get in touch with the accompanist to provide details of their chosen repertoire. Only the designated accompanist may accompany applicants during the test.
Applications to more than one school in French-speaking Switzerland: successful applicants to more than one school in French-speaking Switzerland (Geneva, Neuchâtel, Lausanne, Fribourg or Sion) will have until 31 May to choose where they wish to study.
EXCEPTIONAL CONDITIONS FOR THE 2021-2022 ADMISSIONS
- Admission examinations will be based on a video recording sent by applicants, except for the following main subjects :
- Orchestral conducting
- Choir conducting
- Music and movement / Eurythmics (BA and MA)
- Maestro al cembalo
- Piano accompaniment
- Performer-composer minor of the Master in performance - concert
- Chamber music minor of the Master in performance - concert
- Certificate of Advanced Studies in Instrumental/vocal performance
- Diploma of Advanced Studies in Orchestral practice
For these main subjects, an in-person audition will take place at the following dates (please click here)
- The second examinations for the following majors and minors will also be held in person, according to the audition timetable :
- Major in Orchestra
- Minor in Contemporary music
- Soloist major
The application form must be sent before March 1st 2021.
All video recordings must be submitted before April 1st 2021.
Instructions regarding the format and submission of the recordings will be posted on our website on February 1st 2021.
The admission file consists of the following documents which must be attached to the online form :
Deadline for all disciplines - 1 March 2021
- online application form for the 2021-2022 academic year
- a motivation letter
- a curriculum vitae (resume) specifying at least the applicant’s general studies (secondary school, university etc.), musical studies and work experience
- a passport photograph, pasted to the form
- copies of the applicant’s identity document and (if already issued) Swiss residence permit
- details of the repertoire studied
- a copy of the applicant’s certificate of access to higher education (maturité, baccalauréat, Zeugnis der allgemeinen Hochschulreife, General Certificate of Education, Kotogakko sotsugyo shomeisho, etc.)
- copies of musical diplomas, indicating marks obtained
- a list of the works to be performed during the instrumental or vocal test, including the required repertoires
- evidence that the admission fee has been paid
Incomplete application documents will not be accepted.
If the online form was not able to be sent, you can download and print it:
application form for the 2021-2022 academic year duly completed, dated and signed
A list of required repertoires for the practical examination (according to the discipline chosen) is available at répertoire des épreuves. Applicants must also submit a list of the works to be performed during the instrumental or vocal test, including the required repertoires.
This year, due to the COVID-19 crisis, the admission tests will be conducted on the basis of video recording, except for certain disciplines which will be held in Geneva in person. In addition, some admission interviews will be held at a distance. Consult the dates, places and procedures for each branch.
Successful applicants will be sent an enrolment form which must be duly completed and signed and returned by the date indicated.
Rules and regulations are available in french only