Bachelor of Arts courses
Applicants for Bachelor of Arts courses must have a maturité gymnasiale, maturité professionnelle or maturité spécialisée secondary-school qualification or one deemed equivalent (baccalauréat, etc.). In exceptional cases, the HEM may waive this condition for students displaying outstanding musical talent.
Admission to Bachelor of Arts courses at the "Haute école de musique de Genève" is by competitive examination, in three stages. Applicants must first submit application documents. They will then be invited to take a practical examination in Geneva, consisting of two tests: an instrumental or vocal test, and a test in general musical training, both of which must be passed. The results of the tests will be forwarded to the admissions board, which will make a final decision.
One month before the date of the practical examination, applicants will receive a written invitation stating the place and time of the examination, as well as the designated accompanist’s contact details. Applicants have to get in touch with the accompanist to provide details of their chosen repertoire. Only the designated accompanist may accompany applicants during the test.
Applications to more than one school in French-speaking Switzerland: successful applicants to more than one school in French-speaking Switzerland (Geneva, Neuchâtel, Lausanne, Fribourg or Sion) will have until 31 May to choose where they wish to study.
Documents to be supplied and online form:
The admission file consists of the following documents which must be attached to the online form (deadline 1 March 2020):
- online application form for the 2020-2021 academic year
- a motivation letter
- a curriculum vitae (resume) specifying at least the applicant’s general studies (secondary school, university etc.), musical studies and work experience
- a passport photograph, pasted to the form
- copies of the applicant’s identity document and (if already issued) Swiss residence permit
- details of the repertoire studied
- a copy of the applicant’s certificate of access to higher education (maturité, baccalauréat, Zeugnis der allgemeinen Hochschulreife, General Certificate of Education, Kotogakko sotsugyo shomeisho, etc.)
- copies of musical diplomas, indicating marks obtained
- a list of the works to be performed during the instrumental or vocal test, including the required repertoires
- evidence that the admission fee has been paid
Incomplete application documents will not be accepted.
If the online form was not able to be sent, you can download and print it:
application form for the 2020-2021 academic year duly completed, dated and signed
A list of required repertoires for the practical examination (according to the discipline chosen) is available at répertoire des épreuves. Applicants must also submit a list of the works to be performed during the instrumental or vocal test, including the required repertoires.
The instrumental and vocal tests will be held in Geneva: dates and locations
Successful applicants will be sent an enrolment form which must be duly completed and signed and returned by the date indicated.
Rules and regulations are available in french only