Admission to Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts courses at the "Haute école de musique de Genève" (HEM) is by competitive examination.
There is no age limit for admissions, but an assessment of potential development is a key criterion for selection. Where applicants are of equal quality, preference will be given to the youngest.
Applicants may express a preference for particular teachers, and account will be taken of this wherever possible. Classes are given in French, and students must be familiar with that language to at least Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CECR) B1 for the Bachelor and A2 for the Master (way stage or elementary) level. Successful applicants whose knowledge of French is below this minimum standard must take the French-language courses provided by the HEM.
EXCEPTIONAL CONDITIONS FOR THE 2021-2022 ADMISSIONS
- Admission examinations will be based on a video recording sent by applicants, except for the following main subjects :
- Orchestral conducting
- Choir conducting
- Music and movement / Eurythmics (BA and MA)
- Maestro al cembalo
- Piano accompaniment
- Performer-composer minor of the Master in performance - concert
- Chamber music minor of the Master in performance - concert
- Certificate of Advanced Studies in Instrumental/vocal performance
- Diploma of Advanced Studies in Orchestral practice
For these main subjects, an in-person audition will take place at the following dates (please click here)
- The second examinations for the following majors and minors will also be held in person, according to the audition timetable :
- Major in Orchestra
- Minor in Contemporary music
- Soloist major
The application form must be sent before March 1st 2021.
All video recordings must be submitted before April 1st 2021.
Instructions regarding the format and submission of the recordings will be posted on our website on February 1st 2021.
Conditions for admission, as well as information and documents to be submitted by applicants, are specified on the Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts application forms.
FROM NOW APPLICATIONS FORMS ARE TO BE FILLED ONLINE:
Graduate professional musicians who wish to perfect their skills in specific areas can take one of the lifelong learning (CAS or DAS) courses provided by the "Haute école de musique de Genève".
Further information can be obtained from the study office: firstname.lastname@example.org.